Friday, April 30, 2021

Alcohol Ink Background Using Vellum

 The Background made using Stampin' Blends and Rubbing Alcohol on Vellum is taking the crafting community by storm!  Many have done blog posts and made videos on how to create this breath taking background!

I have made backgrounds with Vellum and Stampin' Blends before (See video here) but this method creates a more stunning background! I will be making a video on this technique soon

For a number of years I sold cards and other items at local craft shows.  This technique reminds me of the technique I used on tiles to convert them to coasters and other home décor items.  See picture at bottom of post.

Below is a card I made using this technique.  


Supplies Needed to Make the Background
  • Vellum cardstock -white
  • Stampin' Blends 4 colours of your choice .  For my card I used the following: Bermuda Bay, Granny Apple Green, Polished Pink, Fresh Fuchsia
  • Rubbing Alcohol 91%
  • A small container to put alcohol in
  • Paint brush 
  • Paper towel
  • Adhesive sheet

To create this background I added 4 different colours of Stampin' Blends applying them one at a time to a precut piece of Vellum.  I found the dark colour of each Stampin' blend produced a more spectacular background.

After the vellum was completely covered, I used a paint brush to apply rubbing alcohol in a daubing motion.

The background dries very quickly, but if you're impatient like I was, a heat tool can be used to hasten the process.

Once dry, it was adhered to an identical size of adhesive sheet.

Making the card:

  1. Using Basic Black card stock, I die cut a tree using the new Beautiful Tree die and added it to the vellum background which had been trimmed to 3 3/4 by 5". 
  2. Using the Inspiring Canopy dies,  I die cut create a foundation for the tree as well as two cute little birds which I placed in the branches matted with a 4 by 5 1/4" piece of Basic Black card stock
  3. This was matted with Basic Black card stock and adhered to a Bermuda Bay card base.
Watch for a video coming soon.

Below is the large tile trivet I made using alcohol inks on a reclaimed tile.




1 comment:

h said...

this is lovely Maria!