Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Vinyl purse gift card holder - a craft fair item

 I'm getting ready for a couple of craft fairs - the first since the pandemic started 2 years ago. And I'm excited!  I've been making all sorts of 'new' items including the one I am posting about today.

This item is not my original idea as I watched "The Posh Lady" on You Tube use this media to create unique items. 

The craft fair item I create is a gift card holder - perfect for graduation, birthdays, etc - in the shape of a purse.  What is unique about this purse is that I made of a vinyl place mat I purchased in the Dollar Tree for $1.25.  From this one 12 by 15" placemat I made 3 purses.  I had 2 place mats, so I ended put making 6 of them. The placemats were white and blue with a pattern that reminded me of a peony flower. 


I was surprised how easy it was to make them. Below is one of the purses. Each purse is 5 1/4 by 4 by 1/4" with a single handle.  It is held closed with a magnet or a velcro dot.


The purse opens to reveal a gift card holder in the middle section, with a section at the end to write a note.  I used the last of the vinyl to create the pocket for the gift card.
On the insert at the end, I stamped a peony image from the stamp set "Prized Peony" with the sentiment from "Peaceful Moments".  Both were stamped using Misty Moonlight ink.




Here's how I made the purses:

1.  Cut the vinyl placemat to 9 3/4 by 5 1/8" and the handle 1 by 12"
2.  Score at 3 5/8, 3 7/8, 7 1/2, and 7 3/4
3.  Burnish the scored lines well.
4.  Fold along the score lines to form the purse.
5.  On the smaller flap, cut off a small triangle from each end.  I measured in 1 1/4" in from each end and cut from that mark at and angle to the score line.
6.  Punch a hole in this flap and insert a brad.
7.  Add a magnet or velcro to keep purse closed
8.  Add handle.  Add tape to each end of the 1 by 12" piece as well as the top back of the purse where the handle will be attached. 


I will  be making more of these purses using different placemats.





3.  



No comments: