Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Postcard Pals Shadow Box Card

A wonderful alternative to a décor item shadow box is a shadow box card. These come in many shapes and sizes, but the one I have made is a 5 1/2 by 5 1/2" square one.  There are many tutorials for shadow box cards but the tutorial I used was the one done by Ricas here

A shadow box card is a perfect way to show case a specific stamp set, and in this case, "Postcard Pals"


The base is Kraft card stock and the square frame made according to the directions in the tutorial, but decorating the box card was my own creation.  I must admit the miter corners on the box edges almost defeated me. They're not perfect but I did figure it out and it's the best I can do (this time).



On each of the box edges I added a 3/4 by 5" piece of Whisper White card stock, and measuring 1" from the edge at each end I first drew a line to the corner and then cut it with my trimmer.  One thing I found helpful was to make a template and use it to cut the other 3 sides. The Whisper White piece  was layered with the Botanical Butterfly DSP which was cut in a similar manner only 1/8" smaller.

The image from "Postcard Pals" was stamped using the Stamparatus, and coloured with  watercolour pencils and a blender pen.  I used the DSP  for inspiration for the colour palette for the image and the embellishments. After the image was coloured, the dot stamp from "Waterfront" was used to create the background.  I did not use the full strength of the Basic Gray ink, stamping off first and then stamping around the image.



The image was first die cut using the layering circle framelit and then layered with a scallop circle in Highland Heather. The two were adhered using dimensionals. This was adhered to the 3 1/2 by 3 1/2" piece of Kraft cardstock which was adhered to the bottom of the box.  Some rhinestones, coloured with the Blackberry Bliss blendability were added randomly around the image.

The flowers and leaves were made using the "Pop of Petals" stamp set and punched with the Four Petal Punch.  The leaves were fussy cut.



The butterfly was punched directly from the Botanical Butterfly Gala DSP



Supplies Used:
Stamps:  Postcard Pals, Pop of Petals, Waterfront
Inks:  Black Memento, Watercolour Pencils, Highland Heather, Old Olive, Basic Gray, Mango Melody, Blackberry Bliss blendability
Papers:  Kraft card stock, Whisper White, Highland Heather, Botanical Butterfly DSP
Accessories:  Four Petal Punch, Duet Butterfly Punch, Layering Circle Framelits, Rhinestones, 1/4" Highland Heather Organza ribbon.

I mentioned in my post above that I learned how to miter corners.  In searching the internet I found a video tutorial on You Tube  here that I found useful and I was able to adapt the information to card making. The students were able to use this technique and were successful in making great mitered corners.

Here's a picture of them proudly holding up their shadow boxes.


No comments: