Sunday, December 16, 2018

Recycling Ribbon Spools - a tutorial

Have you ever wondered what to do with all those empty ribbon spools?  Yes, they can go in the blue recycling boxes, but why not make something with them?  Some examples ... an ornament for the tree, or a magnet for the refrigerator.

In the tutorial today I will explain step by step how to transform an empty ribbon spool into the refrigerator magnet in the picture below.



Step 1:
Take the spool apart and keep only the 2 end pieces.  Remove any loose pieces of paper.




2. Apply tombo to wrong side of one of the spool ends.  I used only one end for my art piece, but if the spool ends are flimsy adhere the two pieces together.  Place spool onto selected DSP, and cut out with scissors. The DSP I used in the Botanical Bliss SAB (Sale-a-bration) paper .  I just love the butterflies.

3.  Then apply tombo to the other side and place on coordinating card stock and cut out with scissors.




4.  Use a dauber to apply Basic Gray ink to the edges. I also inked the outside edges of the art piece.  This finishes the piece off nicely.


5.  To decorate the magnet, I fussy cut a butterfly from the DSP, and sponged the edges with Basic Gray ink.  The butterfly was added to a 1" circle of Balmy Blue card stock.  I stamped a sentiment from "Colorful Seasons" and added it under the butterfly.  And of course, no project is complete without bling, so I added 3 rhinestones.


6.  Add magnets on the back and you're done.




This is just one idea.  Can you think of others?

2 comments:

Jane said...

Very pretty.

Patrice Espy said...

Great idea Maria, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family.