Thursday, November 30, 2017

A Wintery Birthday Card featuring Lovely as a Tree

If you don't have the stamp set "Lovely as a Tree" get it.  This tried and true stamp set has been around for a long time and is so versatile that the images can be used for any occasion.

Today I used it to make a Birthday card for my neighbour who turned 85 yesterday. I have wonderful neighbours on both sides of me.  They would do anything for me and visa versa.

When I think of Bob I think of snow.  Why is that??  We have an agreement that Bob clears  my driveway after a snow fall using his snow blower, and in exchange I help with some minimal nursing care, like changing dressings, applying polysporin, or just checking up on he and his wife. I am a retired nurse so I'm glad to be helpful.  Both Bob and his wife are now in their mid 80's.

So, when I heard it was Bob's birthday, I just had to make a card.  Just a few days ago I made a card for their 62nd wedding anniversary.  What a couple!


The snowy scene in the card was inspired by the work of Bibi Cameron 

Using a combination of masking, and sponging and the following colours:  Marina Mist, Pool Party, Night of Navy, and Sweet Sugarplum, this winter scene was created.  The tree is a single stamp from "Lovely as a Tree".  The snow "effect" was created by splattering liquid masking fluid with a tooth brush onto the art piece prior to applying colour..  This liquid mask dries and protects white areas, and when removed with either clean fingers or an eraser after the scene is finished, the white areas give the illusion of snow.

The sentiment, from "Big on Birthdays" was black embossed on vellum,  I wanted a larger font for the sentiment, but I did not want to cover up the trees.  Vellum was the perfect choice.  Hint: the new Adhesive sheets are perfect for adhering vellum without leaving telltale adhesive marks.

Supplies:
Stamps:  Lovely as a Tree, Big on Birthdays
Inks:  Black Memento, Night of Navy, Marina Mist, Pool Party, Sweet Sugarplum
Papers:  Elegant Eggplant, Basic Black, Watercolor paper, Vellum
Accessories:  Black embossing powder, Liquid masking fluid (non SU), Adhesive sheets



No comments: