Thursday, March 5, 2015

Tray with Swallowtail Inserts

I finally finished the tray I have been working on for a while.

Actually it was sitting collecting dust for about 2 years.  When I bought it the class covering was cracked, and I never bothered getting a new piece.  If only I had known how inexpensive that was I would not have waited as long!! About 3 weeks ago, I had the local glass store cut a new piece of glass for the tray and it cost less than $5.00.  Can you believe it?

I decided to use the Swallowtail stamp set, stamping the butterfly at different angles, and colouring them with different colours of blendabilities.  Actually, each butterfly is one colour.  When it was done and the tray put back together, I wasn't sure if I liked the result.  The background seemed wrong.  I felt the white was too stark!  So, I've been sitting with it for a while, and I'm still not sure.  I would appreciate feedback from you as to your thoughts.  By the way, the tray is black in colour.


This is the completed tray, with the four butterfly inserts.

Daffodil Delight Swallowtail


Coastal Cabana Swallowtail


Pumpkin Pie Swallowtail

Rich Razzelberry Swallowtail

1 comment:

SueB said...

It's beautiful! You could try masking the butterfly and then lightly sponge the white background using the lightest ink of the same hue as each butterfly. I know what you mean about the starkness of the white, I often go through this myself!