Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Paper Quilting

After making 2 star albums (using the Play Date Designer Paper) for a client, she asked me if I could make a small card for her that would coordinate with the albums.  This is the card I came up with.  It is an unusual size - 9 by 3 1/2, scored at 4.5 - so I had to hand make the envelope as well.
The technique is called paper quilting.
Quilting actually comes before you quilt the paper - in the process of actually designing (and/or stamping) the paper.  I consulted a fabric quilting book for an appropriate pattern.
I then took remnants of paper I had used to make the albums and cut 3/4" squares using the 3/4" square punch.  Each square was then cut in half diagnonally.  A 1/2" by 3 strip was placed at either end, and the entire quilt was glued to a piece of 4 by 3 piece of very vanilla cardstock.  The quilt was assembled as per the card above.  It was adhered to the 4.5 by 3 1/2" card, and a rhinestone was placed in the middle - just to add some bling.
Paper Used:  Play Date Designer Paper, Real Red, Old Olive, So Saffron, Chocolate Chip
Accessories: 3/4" square punch, rhinestones

1 comment:

Heather Pilz said...

Hi Maria, I think you did a great job with the quilting. I did a quilting card a few weeks or so ago, but I cut my squares and then ran it through my Top Note die. I love that you used a typical quilted pattern! Great job!!

Here is my own version of a quilted card.
Heather