Saturday, September 21, 2019

Penguins Playing in the Northern Lights

I seem to be on a roll, really enjoying making wonderful, colourful Northern lights in the sky.  I always thought it was so hard, so never really attempted it.  But as I mentioned in my first post with the technique, any one can do this.

See my other two posts here and here

This time I used the Playful Penguins.


Before I started my sponging, I stamped the Penguins on the art piece where I wanted them,  and masked them with a stamped and cut out post it note.  I also masked the 'snowy' foreground with some copy paper.

I used the same colour combinations as in the other two cards, but this time the Northern Lights were made to look more like a shimmery curtain.  I can almost hear the crackle the lights make as they sparkle and glow!

After the sky was finished, the masks were removed from the Penguins, and they were coloured with Stampin' Blends - light and dark Smokey Slate, with the beak and feet in Pumpkin Pie.  A little bit of yellow was placed on the front of one of the Penguins, although I could have done this with both of them.  Apparently there is virtually no difference in the physical appearance of the male and female penguins.  The only difference is in their behaviour.

Again, I created snow in the sky, snow drifts in the snow, and glitter, glitter wherever I could - dazzling diamonds in the snow and the entire piece spritzed with my home made spray.

The base card is Basic Black, layered with a Sparkle Shimmer Paper die cut into a frame using 2 sizes of the Stitched Rectangle die.  The art piece, also die cut with the Stitched Rectangle die, was adhered so that the edges overlapped the Sparkle Shimmer Paper frame.

The sentiment, from Itty Bitty Christmas, was cut into two words after it was stamped.  They were cut out conforming with the shape of each work, the edges were sponged and then adhered below the Penguins.

Because of the rectangle shape of the die cuts, a strip of Basic Black card front remained, so that was trimmed off, making the front 1/2" shorter.  To compensate for that, a strip of Sparkle Shimmer Paper remnant left over from die cutting the frame was adhered to the bottom edge of inside of the card.

Supplies Used:
Stamps:  Playful Penguins, Itty Bitty Christmas
Inks:  Black Memento, Daffodil Delight, Old Olive, Rich Razzelberry, Night of Navy, and the following Stampin' Blends (both light and dark) Smokey Slate, Pumpkin Pie, Seaside Spray, Daffodil Delight
Papers:  Basic Black, Whisper White, Sparkle Shimmer Paper
Accessories:  Stitched Rectangle Dies, Dazzling Diamonds, White acrylic paint, Shimmer spray

No comments: