Thursday, December 20, 2018

DYI Shadow Boxes

I love making 3D images and placing them in shadow boxes.  But I find the cost of shadow boxes prohibitive.  A search of Pinterest showed various DIY shadow box projects and I thought I would try one that did not involve wood or a saw.  I'm afraid I'm not very good with those traditional tools.  Instead I opted to use foam board, and amazingly it works very  well.  I'll try a do a tutorial later - photo or video I'm not sure which.


This shadow box I made from a Dollar store frame, using 1 1/2" foam frame I made and inserted inside.


You can see the foam insert in the side view here.

The DSP background is a retired Valentine DSP upon which I place a large Glimmer glitter heart.  A 3D heart cut out of old book pages and stapled together was attached to the center of this heart.

Before closing the shadow box I added pink, red glitter and white roses and glitter strawberries which would lie freely in the box.

For the second Shadow box I made a 2" insert because the object I wanted to place in it was fairly large.  Again, the frame is a dollar store find.




I made this paper Dahlia from a die a friend gave me.  This one 's for you Gail.





No comments: