Thursday, February 16, 2017

Making another Succulent - a Cactus

Inspired by a number of pictures of Cacti on Pinterest, I decided to make my own.
Again, I used my little peat pots which I usually use in the spring to plant small divided perennials prior to my plant sale.
This time I placed a Styrofoam Easter egg which has one rounded end cut off, in it, covered by Spanish Moss
Then I decorated the pot itself with banners of Succulent DSP and a Sweet Sugarplum ribbon wrapped around the top of the pot.

Using the largest of the layering oval framelits, I die cut 5 ovals in Old Olive card stock.
I then stamped each oval twice with the big splatter stamp from "Gorgeous Grunge" stamp set using Old Olive ink. The first image was stamped with full strength ink, and without reinking the stamp, the image was stamped again.

Each oval was folded in half with the stamped side to the inside.  The fold was burnished well.

Because cacti usually have spines, I tried to mimic them by distressing the edges with a pair of scissors and then sponging the edges with Always Artichoke ink.

The ovals were then glued together using Tombo ink.

Isn't the flower on the top cute?

 To make the flower, I die cut three of the smallest flowers of the Succulent framelits using Flirty Flamingo card stock.

The edges of each petal were lightly sponged with Crumb Cake ink, & curled up.  Each petal was then adhered together and added to the top of the cactus.

The cactus was adhered to the prepared peat pot using hot glue.











Supplies Used:
Stamp: Gorgeous Grunge
Inks: Old Olive, Always Artichoke, Crumb Cake
Papers: Old Olive, Flirty Flamingo, So Succulent DSP
Accessories: Layering Oval Framelits, Succulent framelits, peat pot, Styrofoam Easter egg, Spanish moss, 3/8" Sweet Sugarplum ribbon, hot glue gun.












Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...