Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Origami Tag Ornaments

I've been making these tag ornaments for years, and they were a very popular item at both my craft shows.  So, I thought I would repost this DYI item again. I made 7 of them today, but I'll probably have to make more.  Unfortunately a retired stamp set, "Serene Snowflakes" is used to do the stamping, and I'm holding on to this one as it's perfect for this item.

I used a video tutorial made by Tami White here





These are the tag ornaments I made today.  Some have 1/8" Very Vanilla ribbon, and the rest Early Espresso.  SU does not make the Very Vanilla any more. The tag is held closed by this ribbon and a wooden bead.

Pull the bead along the ribbon, and the tag pops open into an ornament.  This is the front view.

The side view shows stamping on the inside.
It looks quite complicated to make, but it really isn't.  The video tutorial, although fast, explains very well how to make this "wow" item.


For each tag ornament, I cut 5 pieces of 3 by 3" pieces of Very Vanilla cardstock, and 2 pieces of 1 1/2 by 1 1/2" cardstock.  I also cut 2 seven inch pieces of 1/8" ribbon, and gathered a wooden bead which has an opening of at least 1/8" wide for each ornament.

Each 3 by 3 inch piece was scored at 1 1/2" along both sides, and from one corner to corner.  These score marks are not emphasized until after the stamping.

A stamp-a-ma-jig is a must for this item.

Using a stamp-a-ma-jig, stamp the large snowflake in the middle of each 3 by 3 piece.  Turn each piece over and stamp a trio of snowflakes on the back at least 4 times.
On one of the 1 1/2 piece stamp the smaller snowflake; on the second stamp "Seasons Greetings" from "Snow Swirled" another retired stamp set

Now fold each of the score lines.  Fold the side score lines to the inside (where the trio of snowflakes are stamped) and fold the item closed.  Do this for all 5.

Using adhesive, attach each piece together with the open sides to the outside.  When the 5 are together, just give it a test "pop", and if okay, apply adhesive to the top, attach one of the ribbons, and then apply one of the 1 1/2 pieces.  Do the same on the other side.  Be sure the ribbons run in the same direction.

Now comes the fun part!  Attaching the ribbons through the hole in the bead.  My beads' opening was a bit smaller, so I had quite a time getting the 2 pieces of ribbon through, but I did.  Know the distal end, and have a bit of fun opening and closing the ornament.

Stamps: Serene Snowflake, Snow Swirled (both retired)
Ink: Cherry Cobbler
Paper: Very Vanilla
Accessories:  1/8" Very Vanilla or Early Espresso ribbon, bead with 1/8" opening (non SU)







No comments: