Friday, November 29, 2019

Snow Front Coasters - a home decor item

Sometimes cleaning a drawer has spin off benefits!
When I was cleaning the drawer in the tables beside the couch, I found a coaster with a scene on it - of mountains and trees and water.
My hands froze in mid air. I gasped! The stamp set "Snow Front" immediately came to mind.  I had made a lot of swap cards for On Stage Toronto using this very versatile set - sSo I had an Ah Ha moment. Use this stamp set to make some coasters!

Here is the result:


These are the first successful two.  I had made others but the process of sealing them caused the colours to run.  Mod Podge was the worst offender.
On a piece of water colour paper, I drew two circles approximately 3 5/8" in diameter (one of the layering circle dies), and used the pencil lines as a guide where to stamp the images. Then I used that same die to die cut them.


For the backing, I die cut two slightly smaller circles - one in chipboard and one in cork.  And for this I used one of the original 3 1/2" circle die by Sizzix.  I got the chipboard on Amazon, but you could use some thick card board instead, and the cork at the dollar store.


After the coaster was sealed using 4 coats of a Krylon spray followed by a spray Shellac all three layers were adhered together using a combination of tacky and hot glue.


The sealant used caused the colours to become darker and more intense, so subsequent coaster were made with a lighter colour of ink.

No comments: