Saturday, April 21, 2018

Pyramid Album Card

For over 5 days, a historic ice storm battered  Southern Ontario.  It started on a Friday with heavy rain followed by freezing rain, ice pellets and snow. Each day was worse than the last. Traveling in this weather was out of the question, so it became a perfect time to do some crafting.

Yesterday I spent some time learning how to make a pyramid/album card that  I saw demonstrated at On Stage, London. .  Internet searches showed a paucity of information about this special card fold, although I did find 2 sources that were helpful a video tutorial made by Cayleigh here and another made by Antina Yadav here

I have put together a pictoral tutorial which I will place on my Tutorial Blog in the next couple of days.  In the meantime, here are some pictures of what I came up with.

For the entire album/card I used the following:  Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla and Tranquil Tide Card Stock and the True Gentlemen DSP. I thought this might be a wonderful way to display Masculine Cards, and in some of the pictures I have taken you will see my efforts going in that direction



The Pyramid album card is a layer of progressively smaller square cards in such a way as to resemble an Egyptian pyramid.

The bottom layer is a  6 by 12 piece of card stock  scored at 6"  to form a 6 by 6 square card.  Each layer becomes progressively smaller by  1/4"

Dimensions of all the layers are as follows:

Layer 1 (base)       6 by 12                  Scored at 6  
Layer 2                  5 1/2 by 11 3/4"    Scored at 5 1/2 
Layer 3                  5 by  10                 Scored  at 5"
Layer 4                  4 1/2 by 9              Scored at 4 1/2
Layer 5                  4 by 8                    Scored at 4
Layer 6                  3 1/2 by 7              Scored at 3 1/2
Layer 7 (top)         3 by 8                    Scored at 3


Each of these layers is matted with a coordinating card stock - Crumb Cake.  As before, the dimensions of each layer decrease in size by 1/4" per layer.

Dimensions for the mat layers are as follows:

Layer 1 (base)      5 3/4 by 5 3/4"
Layer 2                 5 1/4 by 5 1/4
Layer 3                 4 3/4 by 4 3/4
Layer 4                 4 1/4 by 4 1/4"
Layer 5                 3 3/4 by 3 3/4
Layer 6                 3 1/4 by 3 1/4
Layer 7 (top)        2 3/4 by 2 3/4

Each level can be decorated as is, or various fold outs, tags, cards, envelopes, can be added as well as various embellishments and pictures.



 Here are some pictures of the various levels starting from the top.  I have added some fold outs to some of the levels.


Level 1:  I added a piece of 2 3/4 by 5 1/2" piece of card stock , scored it in half and added it to the top. DSP was added to each side.









Level 2:  I added an insert, added some DSP was added to the left side.  On the right, I die cut some circles adhered them to the base and tied them close with some ribbon






Undo the ribbon and there is room to add a picture or journaling on the Very Vanilla insert.






Level 3:  Another insert was added.  On the left side of this insert, I added a Very Vanilla pocket with a scallop top tag inserted in it.

Some DSP was adhered to the right side.




Layer 4:  The left side was decorated with stamps and punches.  On the right side I adhered 2 exploding albums one on top of each other .  Here you see the top of the still concealed albums.






Opening up the album reveals a double sided exploding origami folded surface.  This is one side.
Flip it over and you see the next surface.....








..the other side of the exploding album.  These fold back up until they resemble what is seen in the picture of  Level 4.










Level 5:  Another insert.  On the left I cut a card I had made down to size and adhered it there.
On the right I used the envelope punch board to custom make an envelope which is tied together using brads and twine from March's Paper Pumpkin kit.  Mementos can be stored in this envelope.


Level 6:  A waterfall card insert ready for stamping.











On the bottom level I added a Z fold card I had made using Country Living stamp set..





No comments: