Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Box of Magnets with Tiled Lid

This box was purchased in the Dollar store. It is 10 by 7 by 1 5/8", has a clear plastic lid insert and as unpainted.  I bought 2.
I did not know what I was going to do with them, but I liked them, and ideas were firing off in my brain!!

Then an idea came to me ---Refrigerator Magnets.
I have made magnets before, but I had just packaged them in little boxes made with the envelope punch board.  See this post  from 2014  http://craftymariasstampingworld.blogspot.ca/2014/11/glass-magnets-made-with-dsp.html  and the tutorial for the boxes: http://craftymariasstampingworld.blogspot.ca/2014/12/window-box-made-with-envelope-punch.html

So I bought some glass decorative items in the floral section of the Dollar store, went home and punched 1" circles from some left over DSP, and podged them to the back of the glass items.  After a second coat of Mod Podge, a magnet was adhered to the back using clear 9001 adhesive.

These magnets were placed in the box.

The box was painted with white acrylic paint, and the lid  edge was tiled with small tile squares that  I bought years ago and did not know what to do with.   I applied them using Homemade Texture Paste , a recipe given to us by S. Gardner, then CEO of Stampin Up.  Watching all those home decorating shows has definitely paid off.  

Here is the box full of magnets.  The lid is closed, so there is a bit of glare from the plastic insert.

At the bottom of the box I placed a magnetic sheet.  The unfinished box actually had a cork lining, so items can  be displayed in it.
Here's a close up of the second box I did.




I just randomly took 4 magnets out of the box so you could have a closer look.  I used some older Halloween paper  as well as all occasion paper.

Turn them over and you can see the magnets.  That glue works really well.  I have had some magnets on  my frig  for over 2 years with no problem.  They won't hold heavy items though.



                                       
                                          
                                            
                        

No comments: