Monday, May 24, 2010

Shaker card - happy birthday - Monday Technostamper sketch challenge

The technique used to make this card was written up in "Stamp It Cards" magazine. It seemed rather different, so I thought I'd try.  I used the "Awash with Flowers" stamp set.
The technique is called "Embossing Transparencies", and here is how it's done.
1.  Stamp images on clear transparency with Versa Mark ink.  Heat emboss with white embossing powder.
2.  Stamp the same images on card stock or designer paper, with the Versa Mark ink - I embossed with clear embossing powder as I could not see the water mark well enough to cut the image.
3.  Cut out the images.  Adhere the designer paper behind the transparency image. I used Crystal Effects and it worked quite well.
At this point I envisioned a shaker card.  Here is how I made that:
1.  Use circles die to cut a circle with vellum and emboss with finial embossing folder.  The top of the shaker is transparency, and there is a narrow strip of double sided tape between the 2 layers.  Before placing the clear transparency on top, I put some clear micro beads (the shakers).
2.  I made the designer circle by cutting the same size circle as the vellum, and then placing it over a smaller circle.  What was left was the narrow strip of designer paper that finished the shaker unit off nicely.
Other materials used:
Stamps:  Awash with Flowers, Teeny Tiny Wishes
Paper:  Pink Passion, Old Olive, Tempting Turquoise, vellum, clear transparency
Other:  White, clear embossing powders, Versa Mark ink, various designer papers, scallop punch, stamping dimensionals, small glue dots, clear microbeads, thick double sided tape (non SU), polka dot and finial embossing folders

2 comments:

MJ said...

Wow, so many wonderful details. Fun technique I may have to give it a try. Love your card, thanks so much for playing along Maria!

Maree said...

I love, love, love the colours you have on this card!!! I am definitely going to have to give them a go. This card is just beautiful!