Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Awesome Otter birthday - another SAB sneak peak

 Our team challenge this month was to challenge ourselves by researching a new technique and to make a card using that technique.

Pinterest of course is the logical place to start.  In looking at current postings, I was noticing a number of cards make using the Stitched Triangle dies. I must admit I have not used these dies very much - therefore I challenged myself to create some cards using the Stitched Triangle dies.

For my first card, and the card for this post, I used the Awesome Otter SAB stamp set, a free stamp set with a $60 order.

The card base is Shaded Spruce, layered with Crumb Cake and then Basic White embossed with the Tasteful Texture embossing folder.



The birthday otter and hat, were stamped on Basic white and coloured with the following Stamp'n Blends (Crumb Cake, Soft Suede, and Smokey Slate - the hat with Real Red). It was then fussy cut and the hat adhered to the Otter's head using a glue dot.

I tried using some DSP for the background for the Otter, but I just wasn't happy with it.  Therefore I created my own background using Stampin' Blends and the Woodlands Embossing folder.

On a 4 by 5 1/4" piece of Basic White card stock, some Balmy Blue was added to the bottom 1/3; Crumb Cake above that, and then I added "scribbles" with Shaded Spruce Stampin' Blends. Then I embossed the "wooded" Shaded Spruce area with the Woodlands Embossing folder.  A white gel pen was used to add markings on the trees and then to blends all the marks, etc, I used a blender brush to add Shaded Spruce over the entire green area.

Next came the fun part - laying out the triangles to determine how they would look the best after they were die cut. The largest triangle was the most important one because the Otter needed to fit in this one.


Above is a close up of the final arrangement.  The top 3 were added with dimensionals, the bottom 3 (Shaded Spruce area) were adhered directly to the card base. The sentiment was stamped with Black Memento on a 1/4" strip of Basic white and added to the card front with dimensionals.

To finish the card, I added three 2019-1022 In Color Faceted Accent dots.


Supplies Used:

Stamp:  Awesome Otter (SAB)

Inks:  Black Memento, 

Stampin' Blends -

Background (Balmy Blue, Crumb Cake, Shaded Spruce)

Otter (Crumb Cake, Soft Suede, Smokey Slate, Real Red)

Papers:  Shaded Spruce, Basic White, Crumb Cake

Accessories:  Stitched Triangle Dies, Woodlands Embossing Folder, Tasteful Texture Embossing Folder, 2019-2022 In Color Faceted Dots, Dimensionals, Clear Wink of Stella

No comments: