Thursday, November 9, 2017

Hearts Come Home Lighted Shadow Box - a case

This lighted Shadow Frame box featuring the Hearts Come Home bundle and created by Kathryn Simpson was featured on Demonstrator Planning Place. I was immediately enthralled by the project and decided to make one to see how it went using the  tutorials she made on You Tube.  This tutorial is in 3 parts and are very easy to follow.  Look for   Part 1Part 2  Part 3 on You Tube.

It was easier to make than I thought, and I plan on making a number of them for Christmas presents.

Unfortunately I was not able to find a 6 by 6 shadow frame box so I used an 8 by 8" shadow box instead. I managed to find some micro LED lights (20 on a string) and have ordered more from Amazon.


This is the first Shadow Box I made.  I made the background by first clear embossing the snowflakes from the Night of Bethlehem stamp set and the Santa and sleigh from Heart Come Home.  Then I used Night of Navy ink and a sponge to cover the rest of the background, wiping the ink over the embossed images with a paper towel when finished (Embossed Resist Technique). To make the sky look more wintery and snowy I apply Wink of Stella in wispy circles across the sky.

After the background was finished, it was adhered to the thick card board backing of the Shadow Frame with Tear and Tape adhesive.  In the bottom right corner a hole was punched with the Crop-o-dile to allow for the insertion of the microlights.

Three layers of Whisper white cardstock were used to used to die cut the layers - 8 by 5", 8 by 4 inches and 8 by 3".  After die cutting, dimensionals were placed behind the layers.  I might try foam adhesive strips on another project. I decided not to colour the houses as Kathryn did and left then white.

Attaching the lights between the layers using glue dots was a bit tricky but I finally got the hang of it.

The background on this one was made a little differently as I placed a moon in the sky by masking it with a 1 3/8" circle post it note.

This time I used white embossing powder and used the brayer to apply the ink- and find the sky is much brighter.

I need a bit more practice, but I really like the results.  Thanks so much Kathryn Simpson.

Here's both frames together:



Supplies Used:
Stamps:  Hearts Come Home, Night of Bethlehem
Inks:  Versa Mark, Night of Navy (Daffodil Delight if adding a moon)
Papers;  Whisper White
Accessories:  Hometown Greetings Edgelits Dies, Clear or White Embossing Powder, Dimensionals (regular and mini), Micro LED lights (non stampin up), 8 by 8" Shadow Box frame, Wink of Stella (optional)

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Maria this is stunning - those lights are amazing. Come and join my Facebook Group The Joy of Sets where we celebrate all things Stampin Up both current and retired. We have RAK's, blog hops, challenges, and lots of fun. Fiona x