Now that can be a dangerous thing!!
The idea was to make an Aloe Vera Succulent plant using card stock!
I have never done this before, but I set about the task with an air of optimism.
Never in my wildest dreams did I think the resultant plant would look as real as it did.
I took a close look at the real plant and started drawing the shape and length of the individual leaves. This was used to create a template for 3 different leaves on photocopy paper.
These templates were traced onto Mint Macaron cardstock and cut out. Each one was then sponged with Daffodil Delight, Garden Green and Always Artichoke inks, spritzed, and then shaped into the Aloe Vera leaves. A Garden Green marker was used to create some of the leaf markings.
The ceramic cornucopia-like container is something I painted a long time ago and until now had no use for. I placed some plant foam inside topped up with green moss.
I created the front and back of the plant separately - the front first - adhering each leaf in a manner similar to the real plant. I used a hot glue gun to do this. I then turned the plant around, and before starting to build the plant I inserted a skewer in the middle. This allowed me to "plant" my creation into the container.
I loved the final product!! Above you see my plant next to the real plant (the real one is the larger one)
Here you see the front of the plant. If you look carefully you can see a smaller plant growing in front of the big one. Some ribbon was tied around the handle.
This is the back.
The plant is somewhat crooked. It is that way because of the shape of the container, and if any of you are familiar with this plant, they always seem to grow at an angle. (Maybe because the leaves are so filled with juice they are top heavy)
- Mint Macaron card stock
- Photocopy paper template for leaves
- Inks: Daffodil Delight, Garden Green, Always Artichoke, (with sponges for each color) Garden Green marker
- Spritzer with water
- Shaping tools
- Foam pad
- Hot glue gun
- Container with moss