Today was such a beautiful day, that I started outside this morning splitting perennials and getting ready for a plant sale the end of May. My son had done the digging last night, and today I split the plants and put them in little pots. The sun felt so warm, the birds were singing, and you could almost hear the trees bursting out in bud.
But this afternoon, I came inside and started mading cards. I wanted to make a card using the Eggshell Mosaic background technique as I am doing that in class this week. Splitcoaststampers have a wonderful tutorial that I followed, except I used reinkers instead of alcohol inks.
I`ve been saving eggshells since Christmas, and the shells are well disinfected and dry, so I don`t have to worry about the students getting ill with Salmonella.
I made a 5 by 5`square card using Old Olive as my base, matted with Whisper White, and then Flowerpot DSP.
I used the tutorial to make the Eggshell mosaic background, starting by die cutting an oval using Vanilla Coasterboard. It was fun breaking the eggshells onto this oval which had matte Modgepodge all over it. I made quite a mess!
Instead of using Alcohol Inks, I used Reinkers - Old Olive, Tempting Turquoise, and Pink Pirouette. The eggshells were sprayed with 90% rubbing alcohol before applying the reinkers, and again after. I just allowed the eggshells to dry at room temperature, but the process could be increased by using a heating tool (very cautiously). Prior to applying the gloss Modgepodge I sprayed the background with a glitter spray, and when this was dry I applied the Modgepodge.
It took about an hour for the background to dry, but when it did, the edges were sponged with Tempting Turquoise ink, and matted with a Tempting Turquoise oval die cut using the Oval framelits. The mosaic background was adhered to the die cut using dimensionals.
Close up of Eggshell Mosaic background
To add interest to the eggshell background, I added some tiny pink pirouette flowers punched with the flower punch, and rhinestones were placed in their centers.
Behind the oval focal point, an Old Olive banner was embossed with the Zigzag embossing folder, and the edges then sponged with Old Olive ink.
The sentiment is from Butterfly Basics, die cut using the smallest of the Ovals Framelit.
Here are the supplies I used:
Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog
In addition, I used:
- Matte Modgpodge
- Glossy Nodgpodge
- 90% rubbing alcohol
- Home made glimmer mist