Saturday, March 21, 2015

Happy Mother's Day - a Bleaching Technique

It's been a while since I've done the bleaching technique on cards.  I used to do it a lot in my early card making days, but not lately.  The idea came to use bleaching as a technique was inspired by Sandi Daley, and as a result will be doing this technique in class the end of April - as a Mother's Day card.


Taking a piece of 1 3/4 by 4 1/4" piece of Bermuda Bay cardstock, the floral image from "Mother's Love" was embossed with black embossing powder.  Embossing keeps the bleach within the confines of the image.
Using a small paint brush and ordinary household bleach (fresh bleach works the best, so if you've had your bleach for a while get some new bleach), paint with bleach all the areas you wish to.  The entire image does not need to be  bleached.  I did decide to bleach all the open areas.
Waiting for the bleach to do its trick can be frustrating, so apply the heating tool, and like magic, the bleached areas will turn white.  Doing this will also show up areas you missed with the brush, so you can reapply bleach to those areas.

The image can stay white if you wish, but I decided to re-add some colours using markers.  First I applied Hello Honey to the throat of each flower, and then a bit of Calypso Coral.  Garden Green and Old Olive were added to the leaves.
I really wanted the top of the flowers to be a bit white, so I used a chalk pen.  I also used it on the leaves.

The art work panel was matted with Hello Honey cardstock and adhered to the layer below with dimensionals.

The basic cardstock is Bermuda Bay, layered with Whisper White, and then a Bermuda Bay layer die cut with the Hexagon Hive framelit.

Around these 3 layers some white Baker's twine was wrapped 3 times and knotted over the image piece.  Some Baker's Twine was fed through a Calypso Coral button (SAB) and a bow tied at the top.  It was adhered over the knot of the Baker's Twine using at least 4 glue dots.  These layers were then adhered to the Bermuda Bay card base.

The sentiment is from "Sweet Laughter" and was stamped in 2 separate images using markers to highlight the word(s) I wanted and where.  They were stamped on Hello Honey cardstock and die cut using the Banners framelit.  It was added at an angle with dimensionals at the notched end, and adhesive at the other.

Supplies Used:

Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...