Thursday, February 26, 2015

Class on Backgrounds made with Blendabilities

What a fun evening we had.  It was a little messy, but everyone was giggling, laughing, oohing, ahhing, and commenting on other classmates backgrounds.
Yes, it was Blendability background night.  See the tutorial here

My plan for them was to create 2 different backgrounds using 3 or 4 blendability colours. Photo paper was used because SU does not carry glossy cardstock anymore. But they had so much fun they didn't want to stop.  Finally after 4 backgrounds I had to "pull the plug" you might say.  There were 2 cards to be made and we were running out of time.

Here are some of the backgrounds created:

 
The student was a bit disappointed with this first attempt, but I loved it, and it has so many possibilities.  Colours used: Bermuda Bay, Cherry Cobbler, Daffodil Delight, and Crumb Cake.  Spritzing with a bit more alcohol would have helped here.

I loved this one too.  Colours used:  Wisteria wonder, Calypso Coral, Night of Navy, and Wild Wasabi.

Here you can see the strokes left by the pen - like a watercolour background.  Colours used: Old Olive, Wisteria Wonder, Daffodil Delight, Medium Crumb Cake.

The cards planned for the evening involved the use of the Butterfly framelit, but some problems occured with the die cutting.  I demonstrated the use of dryer sheets and wax paper, confident it would work well, but apparently photo paper does not die cut well.  We spent a considerable amount of time poking out those little "pokies" out of the butterfly, but it was all done in good humour.

After the butterflies were ready, they were mounted onto cards.  Each card looked different, because I let them choose which background they were going to use.


The stencil that was left did not occur as planned either.  For some the butterflies were cut too close together, and some (the majority) die cut the butterflies too far apart (despite instructions not to do so).  As a result the stencil was not able to be used as planned for the second card.
The students came up with the idea of using only half the stencil i.e. only 1 butterfly per card with the card turned horizontally.  I didn't get a picture of their creation, but I thought it was a great plan.

Here was my plan:

So just picture the stencil cut in half, and only 1 butterfly used.  The second butterfly was used to make a 3rd card.

The students had so much fun making the backgrounds and then designing their own cards that they were reluctant to leave.  "Good class"  "Love the technique"

This just shows you that as a teacher you have to remain flexible, and sometimes let the students do their own thing within boundaries.



Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...