Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Two Home Decor Items using the Painted Blooms DSP

I'm always scounging in the Habitat for Humanity store for items that can be upcycled or reused in a different way.  I was looking for something that I could use to display the Painted Blooms DSP.  Two sheets particularlywere too beautiful to be cut up for cards.  I wanted to make it into a decor item.

The other day I found 2 items - a wooden tray (pretty beaten up) and a 5 by 7 white photo frame in fairly good condition. You can guess what I did with them.  Yup - upcycled them and made them into a matching tray and framed picture.






After I cleaned it up the tray was not a bad looking.  I first painted it gold (I don't know what I was thinking), but changed my mind and repainted it white.  I think white goes better with the Painted Blooms Designer Paper. The paper was measured carefully so that it would fit into the tray with an even border of tray all around.  Then I applied 2 layers of Mod Podge and a layer of acrylic waterproof sealant.

My intent was to display it on my craft table tomorrow, but a friend of my son's saw it and immediately bought it for his mother.

This paper looks so gorgeous framed. 
I took the frame apart, cleaned it up, and then moved the mat over the paper to find the part of the paper looked best framed.  Then it was cut to size and the frame was put the frame back together.

To fancy it up a bit, I hand made 3 roses using SU punches.  The larger one was made using the Fun Flower punch; the 2 smaller ones with the Pansy punch.  The branches were die cut using a retired sizzlet "Little Leaves".  I hot glued them to the right lower corner.

I think I'll take the tray with me tomorrow with a sold sign on it.  Maybe I can find another tray, who knows!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very lovely! I have almost the same little tray that I am going to do the same thing to.