Wednesday, December 17, 2014

My Last Craft Show of the Year

It's done!  It's over!  My craft shows for the year.

Today I set up shop at Ross Memorial Hospital in Lindsay, Ontario - from 8 a.m to 3 p.m.  It was a very early start for me, because it's a 45 to 60 minute drive to Lindsay from Peterborough.  But I made it in good time even though it was raining and the traffic was heavy.

Tables and chairs were provided which was nice because lugging those heavy monstrosities can be hard on the back - plus they take up extra room in the car.

I pay a fee for the day, but the money goes to support the Women's Auxilliary at the hospital,- a worthy cause.  And it's a win-win situation because I get to keep the money I make.

Business was brisk.  I was selling before I had completely set up.  Hospital staff, patients and visitors made a steady stream to my 2 tables and gave me no time to be bored.  There was a bit of a lull just at lunch time, so I took the opportunity to do my Christmas cards (and mail them in the mailbox just outside the front door).  People may not get them before Christmas, but at least they'll get something from me.  My plan for the day was to address and write inside my Christmas cards during periods when there was a lull. I had taken my address book, stamps and my return address labels with me in anticipation of doing that.

I was a bit surprised at what sold  today.  Those magnet that I made for the last show (and didn't sell at all) sold like crazy after I repackaged them in those window boxes I posted about here
I also sold a lot of Christmas cards at a reduced  price, some Stepper Boxes, all my glass ornaments (even the two I made last year and found when I was cleaning my storage room yesterday), owl and butterfly bookmarks, Christmas tags, a trivet, a journal, some gift card holders, post it note holders and an assortment of other items.  One elderly lady was quite smitten with a tiny flameless candle that I had alterred by putting champagne glass glitter around it, so I snuck it into her bag with her other purchases.  I also sold all the large clip- on refrigerator magnets that I had altered using my flower punches.  I'll have to do a post on how to do those at a later time.  Being so close to Christmas, I thought people might be needing boxes to put their purchases in, so I made some 4 by 4 boxes and decorated them using the bow maker die, added a tag, and they sold briskly as well.

One of the gentlemen volunteers came over just to tell me that I had "set up a mighty fine table" and that he wished me well for the day.  The people there are so nice, and so accepting.

Seeing my cards, several ladies started to talk to me about starting up stamping again after a period of not doing so. I gave them each a catalogue hoping that might inspire them a bit.

All in all, it was a good day, and I came home to find that the class SU order had arrived - well in time for Christmas.

By the way, the vendor coordinator has asked me to come back twice a month until May and then once a month because then I'm getting into my busy craft show season.  My next date to go is the second week in January, so I'm already planning Valentine DYI's and goodies!

No comments: