Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Magnets made with Retired SU fabric

After making the glitter magnets, I started thinking about other materials I could use to make the magnets.
Why not material I thought, but the thought of cutting perfect circles from fabric after tracing them, discouraged me.  Until---- I thought of the Big Shot and the Circle framelits.  I wasn't sure if the framelits would die cut fabric, but I thought why not try it.  So, I cut one piece and it worked (but I did have to use a shim). A perfect fabric circle!  After experimenting I found I could cut 3 circles at a time.  I used retired SU fabric.

Here is the result:


I cut 2 circles for each glass bead- one facing into the bead, and one facing outward or the back of the magnet.
This process was easier than the glitter and not quite so messy.

Materials Needed:
  • Retired SU fabric (or other remnants of cotton fabric)
  • Circles framelit and the Big Shot
  • 1" glass beads (flower section of dollar store)
  • Large magnets
  • Mod Podge
  • foam brush
  • 6000 glue (Michaels)
Method:
  1. Die cut 2 circles using the Circles Framelits and the Big Shot for each bead
  2. Place the glass bead upside down (the flat side up)
  3. Apply mod podge using the foam brush to the glass bead 
  4. Place the fabric circle with the pattern side facing down 
  5. Apply mod podge to the attached fabric circle
  6. Let dry
  7. Apply mod podge to dried attached circle and attach the second circle with the pattern facing up.
  8. Let dry
  9. Apply the glue to the back of the magnet and attach to the back of the bead.
  10. Let dry at least an hour.
  11. Clean top of fabric magnet to remove excess mod podge (I used a baby wipe)

No comments: