Monday, April 30, 2012

Secret Box

 It took me quite a while to make this secret box, but now that I know what I'm doing the next box will go faster.
I used the tutorial from splitcoaststampers here to put the box together.  I found the videos that accompany the tutorial much more helpful than the written tutorial.  Also, I used the diagonal plate to score the diagonal lines which made the process so much easier.

Here is the box:
It is called a secret box because, although it doesn't look like it, it opens up to reveal 3 drawers into which one can put jewellry, teas, or other small gifts.

Here is a picture of the box partially opened:

You get a sneak peak of the 3 drawers.

Now a picture of it fully opened:
The box is 3 by 3" and the drawers are that dimension as well. 

I used the Bordering on Romance stamp set and colored the images using watercolor pencils and odorless paint thinner.  Love that technique.  It makes the image look so rich!!

Here's a picture of the image on the lid:
The image was stamped on circle of Very Vanilla cardstock  It was layered on a 3" scallop circle and attached to the sides and top with dimensionals.
As I mentioned, the image was colored using the Stampin' Up watercolor pencils and blended with stumps dipped in paint thinner (this can be used in place of Gamasol which is a more expensive version for artists).  The coloring is probably what took up a lot of my time, because there were 3 images to color - one for the top, and two for the sides.

Here's the recipe:
Stamp: Bordering on Romance
Ink: Black Stazon, watercolor pencils
Papers: Wild Wasabi, Very Vanilla, Just Add Cake Designer Paper
Accessories: Scallop circles die, Circles die #2, dimensionals, dazzling details, paint thinner (non SU), stumps (non SU)

3 comments:

Patti said...

What a neat idea. Yours is so pretty. TFS

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Wow Maria ! Your box is a beautiful creation ! Great work ! Shirley x

Anonymous said...

This design is spectacular! You certainly know how to keep a reader amused.
Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost.

..HaHa!) Great job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and
more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!
Also visit my site :: hcg canada group